I guess that was one plus to our short little jaunt in Tacoma. We actually left with fewer things then we came with last fall, so we could use our trusty trailer again and save money.
Carmi picking her final dandelion.
The girls were playing in the car with Jared the last half an hour as we were stuffing in our final things. About halfway through the state we pulled over because Jared would not stop crying. I picked him up and saw that he was sitting on a bed of rocks. He was a lot happier after I took them out. I think the girls were trying to stock up on Washington rocks for Grandma Evans!
"Mom, please take a picture of me"
"Me too" (this happened multiple times)
We were able to stop and visit with Eric's family that evening and then part of the next day.
Then it was off to Idaho and Montana. We had decided to take I-90 all the way through to the Eastern side of South Dakota before taking I-29 south down into Missouri. So on Tuesday May 8th we went through the tip of Idaho, and all the way to Billings, MT. The girls were troopers, they really have gotten very good at distance traveling. Jared had a pretty rough time, but that was to be expected since he is such an active little guy that doesn't like being confined. Luckily the crying was more of a whine "why can't I get out?" and was relatively easy to ignore as we drove along.
Somewhere out in the wide open spaces...
A gorgeous sunset in Montana.
One of our many stops...
I admit this made me pretty nervous. Luckily we saw nothing.
The Wyoming welcome center in Sheridan. It was the most awesome rest stop I have ever seen!! Very nice, with a nice big playground. Carmi and Jared were both asleep so I played with Lilli for a few minutes while Eric went to get a map.
A nice shot of the Bighorn mountains in Sheridan.
These roads were very red.
A nice scenic shot.
We stopped on the border of Wyoming and South Dakota to have a picnic.
Lilli loved it!
Carmi deep in thought...
I was amazed at how well this picture turned out considering I took it with the windows up as we went flying by!
Most of the SD rest stops had these.
I can't even describe how much Lilli LOVES hotels!
We spent the night in Wall, SD. Home of the famous Wall Drug Store. This store has billboards all along the interstate hundreds of miles before you get there! Unfortunately they were closed when we arrived.
There were two hotels across the street from each other, both boasting low prices. So Eric and I decided we would each go in and ask the price, then meet back at the car to compare, then whichever place was the best deal whoever had not gone into it before would go and get a room. Sneaky I know! We ended up getting a great deal with a nice room that served breakfast the next morning.
Yup, that's rural for ya! A four wheeler driving down main street.
So began day four of driving. We decided to just take a random exit because Jared needed to eat. We ended up finding this amazing park.
It looked like we had gone back in time. Most of the playground equipment was what is now deemed as "dangerous" and hasn't been allowed in a long time.
Carmi on the slide.
Apparently we were in White Lake, SD
A nice action shot.
Carmi posing on the "dangerous playground toys"
A mini merry go round
There was a lady at the park with three or four children. Of course Lilli was thrilled to find yet another "park friend" (I overheard her telling the lady that she was 6 years old and in the 2nd grade, hehe, not quite sure where she came up with that!)
I was completely expecting to go south through Nebraska, so I was actually very excited when we drove by the sign welcoming us to Iowa! (My sister Amanda served her mission in Des Moines and our family traveled there back in 2005 to visit her mission and go to Nauvoo and a few other church history sites)
Here we are at the Iowa welcome center in Sioux City, IA. They have a big riverboat and statues of Lewis and Clark.
A very cool piece of art on I-29 in Iowa.
And we made it! About 11:30 pm on Thursday May 10, 2012 we pulled into Kansas City proper.
The next day we looked at a couple of houses. We chose the second one we looked at. The property manager was super nice and cancelled another appointment she had in order to get our paperwork done so we could move in that day. It was pretty funny when we told her we liked it and would like to move in. Apparently this had never happened to her before. She called her husband and said "they are ready to move in right now!" Since we had shown up with trailer in tow. lol :)
We had the fun experience of camping in our new house. The electricity had been turned off and they couldn't come out and get it turned on until Monday the 14th. I have never been more grateful for electricity!


































No comments:
Post a Comment