Friday afternoon we took a long walk to 7-11 for a slurpee, the contractions started coming and actually started getting stronger so I figured this had to be the real thing. They were about 5-7 minutes apart. I started cleaning the kitchen, but around 8:30 they suddenly just stopped. Oh well, I thought, so I started making a cake! I had all this energy and couldn't even think of going to bed. Around 10:30 they came back, so strong I could hardly stand up. But they still weren't even close to what I consider pain, just very uncomfortable. We decided if they were still coming at 12 we would go. Pulled the cake out of the oven and put the frosting in the fridge. Dropped Lilli off and headed over to Abington. We got there around 12:30, but had a hard time finding the right parking garage, they have tons of them. We ended up parking a little far away, but walking never hurt right?!
We got to Labor and Delivery around 1, and sure enough, they were real contractions. I was relieved, it would have been a little embarrassing to be just having false labor.
Right away they noticed that she had an arrhythmia and were having a hard time following her heartbeat, and since the contractions were coming well on there own they said we would just go with that. No complaints from me, so far this was not bad at all! Unfortunately around 5 AM the contractions slowed down drastically and I only had two in an hour. I was so disappointed I really didn't know how to react. But they said "we'll, you're here, lets have this baby." They started the pitocin around 5 (by now I had dilated to a 6). At this point I had been thinking I would be able to go completely natural, but with this new change of events and my past experience (pitocin=pain) I decided to go for the epidural. I got that around 8 AM, unfortunately it only worked on one side and I just felt icky..I have to admit I regretted getting it. The nurse was totally awesome and got the guy back after she realized it hadn't worked, they gave me a bolus for the side that it didn't work on. So it felt like it had worked after that, which was a relief. My doctor arrived around 7 and said he was surprised I was still there, he thought for sure she would have been born by then. Then the shocker..at 7, 8, and again at 10 I had stopped dilating. They upped the pitocin so I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes but it didn't seem to be working, even after breaking my water. I was so scared that I would end up having a c-section. The big surprise was when I went from a 6 to a 10 in less then an hour!
At this point they were still hearing the irregular heartbeat, and had called NICU to be there when she was born, just in case. They did reassure me that this happened all the time, and usually in 9 out of 10 babies it disappeared after they were born. But I still worried. I was thinking that I might have to repeat my experience with Lilli (having her whisked off to the NICU minutes after she was born and only holding her for two or three minutes). I was pretty emotional about it.
At 11 I started pushing and ten minutes later she was born. 9 lbs 2.5 oz. 22 inches long. Several minutes later the neonatologist came and told me there was no sign of the irregular heartbeat, I can't put into words how I felt after that.
Have you ever noticed that when everything seems to be going perfect a curveball is always thrown your way?
As Carmen and I were preparing to be discharged the pediatrician heard the irregular heartbeat again. The next thing I knew they were taking her down to the NICU to monitor her heartbeat, and I was left alone with buckets of tears of course. This was around 9AM; at 10 Eric and Lilli arrived, we sat around for awhile and they came and told us a cardiologist was going to be coming and doing an echocardiogram and it was possible that she might want to do a 24 hour test, which would mean going home without our little girl. About 10,000 buckets of tears later (and several prayers) we went down to the NICU, Eric stayed in the waiting room with Lilli and I went in and waited for the cardiologist. They thought she would be there later in the afternoon, but around 12:30 they came and told me that she had arrived. At about 1:30 she did the echocardiogram, and my prayers were answered. She found a small hole causing a heart murmur, but wasn't big enough to ever cause problems and chances are it would heal itself anyway. She said, make an appointment for 6 months with me to have another one to make sure everything is alright, otherwise go home!
Unfortunately, being discharged from the NICU is a little challenging, so after a really awful car seat video I had to watch, calls to our pediatrician, and orders to have another bilirubin test (she was at 11, and should be 0), and mountains of signatures we were on our way...at about 5:30 pm. We were all so happy to be home!
I am so excited to have this darling little girl home with us and am excited to start this next phase of life..as a mother of 2!
Looks like fun...
A whole lb less then Lilli!
Just a little emotional, I was so happy to just hold her.
Our darling little one.
Lilli loves her new sister!
Dad and Carmen
Me and my girls.
Look at that happiness!
14 comments:
We are soo excited for you. I am glad everything worked out so that you got to take her home. Tell your family hi for me I know some of them are there with you. Talk to you later.
Congrats!! She is so Big!!! I'm so glad that you were able to take her home. I'm sure everything will work out great. What beautiful two little girls. Have a good time with your mom and dad and sisters.
Congratulations!! She is so cute, what a little chunker! I'm glad everything worked out and that you are all safe and sound. I hope everything checks out in 6 months.
Yay! congratulations!!!! So glad you were FINALLY able to take her home! she's a cutie! Good work Caralee:)
Congratulations! Wow, that's a big baby - compared to mine who both were less than 6lbs. ;0) I am so happy you didn't have to leave your baby in the NICU. I know how difficult that is to do since I had to leave mine there for 2 very long weeks! Good luck adjusting to the life of 2 kids!
She's beautiful, congrats! I'm sorry you had to go through so much! Maelie had a heart murmur at birth too, but it healed itself. I didn't get to hold her for about an hour after she was born. Can't wait to meet her!
Wow were so glad to see your Carmen!!! YOur crazy pregnancys & births seem to be the recipe to wonderful kids. Congrats!
Congrats you guys! She is beautiful and we are so excited for you! We hope all is going well with 2 little ones. I got your message about our blog. I promise to add you. I just keep forgeting...so it's coming.
Teri
Congrats! She's beautiful.
Congrads on another little girl she is so cute. Karrie got on the other day but didn't want to sign on so we could comment so while she is in school I thought I would get on. She only has one more day of summer school.
Love ya, Aunt Linda
Brought back many memories. I can relate. I took me 6 hours to dialate to a 4. But I went from a 5 to having Kaylyn in 20 minutes. I was so gald to have an epideral. She was my first epideral. And I cried and cried, when I was released but Kaylyn wasn't. I didn't go home though. And believe it or not--my kiddo is still smaller than your baby even though she is 2 months old--8 lb 11 oz as of Monday. LOL. We love you and are glad you are all home!
She is beautiful! Congratulations on another precious baby girl. To sleepless nights!!! :) xoxo
Congratulations! I'm so glad that everything ended up okay! You're already emotional enough at that point without other complications making it worse! I'm glad you're home and doing well. We can't wait to meet Carmen in person! What a beautiful little girl!
Congratulations Caralee. How exciting!
Post a Comment