But with all the kids being home the past month I have realized how much they argue and fight and I wanted to have the Spirit stronger in our home, so I made a goal starting this week to read a couple of verses every morning and play hymns on Pandora for at least an hour.
Of course goals that that aren't exactly easy. Yesterday we decided that each day one of us would take a turn picking a topic and we would look up a scripture on it. I was feeling great, we read our scripture and had hymns playing in the background.
And then I'm not exactly sure what happened, but the kids started arguing about something, I got frustrated with them. Then I go into the bathroom to find that Jared had jammed several toy plastic screws down the bathroom sink. Grrr. Then I go into my room and realized the girls had gotten into a box of things I had in my closet that they needed to ask permission to get into. I was so mad. So making the mistake I've made before, instead of counting to 10 first like I try to do I went out and yelled at them and told them they needed to learn some manners, and I wasn't going to do nice things for them anymore. Including cooking for them. Well Lilli, in her best attempt to calm down her raging Mother said "We can't cook, we're too small."
So I stomp of to my room, of course the instant I got there I was so very sorry for the whole outburst.
And then I heard this little voice out in the hallway singing "I am a child of God and he has sent me here..." Carmi, singing that beautiful hymn, had brought back the spirit. I was completely humbled, and felt completely loved by Heavenly Father at the same time. This hymn is one of my favorites, I find myself singing it to myself a lot when I feel discouraged, or am just trying to get negative thoughts out of my mind. It works every time.
I am a child of God,
And he has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear.
Chorus
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday
I am a child of God,
And so my needs are great;
Help me to understand his words
Before it grows too late.
Chorus
I am a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store;
If I but learn to do his will
I'll live with him once more.
Chorus
I am a child of God.
His promises are sure
Celestial glory shall be mine:
If I can but endure.
Chorus
And he has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear.
Chorus
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday
I am a child of God,
And so my needs are great;
Help me to understand his words
Before it grows too late.
Chorus
I am a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store;
If I but learn to do his will
I'll live with him once more.
Chorus
I am a child of God.
His promises are sure
Celestial glory shall be mine:
If I can but endure.
Chorus

No comments:
Post a Comment