Wednesday, December 16, 2015

A Gypsie Life For Me

As sad as I am to close this Kansas City Chapter of our lives the time has come. Eric and I had both known for quite some time that our current business venture was slowly falling apart. Finally about two months ago we felt a sense of urgency to get out of our current situation. There are a lot of nasty details that I'm not getting into, and it's going to take a lot to recover from our business experience here. But I've never doubted for a minute that we were supposed to come here. We've loved it!

So Eric begin looking for employment. We knew we were looking for something in public health because of the loan forgiveness offered. Plus Eric had had such a great experience at his residency at a public health clinic that he knew he would like it again.


I am such a big believer in providence/tender mercies/ that sort of thing. And this definitely fits in this category. We had been looking at Indian Health Services but nothing seemed to be coming together in the time frame we needed.
Well then one of Eric's partners  forwarded an employment opportunity to him from a clinic in Western Nebraska. He applied for the position and very shortly after that they called to set up an interview. (They also mentioned out of all the applicants he had the most experience)
The interview was scheduled for Saturday November 14th. Eric had to work Friday until 8 pm and the following Monday as well. So we decided to get up at 2 AM Saturday morning and drive the 9 hours to Scottsbluff, Nebraska to get there by 11 am for the interview.
It actually worked really well! The kids didn't wake up until we were more then halfway there and were really happy and well behaved the whole drive. We arrived with 15 minutes to spare!
We met up with the director of the clinic (it's a medical and dental combined) and he showed us around the clinic. He was super awesome. He and the other dentist there took us to lunch. And then he got in the van with us and we did a tour of the area. These pictures were taken on the bluffs outside of town. Scottsbluff is a small  town, and it smells like cows (it reminds me a lot of where I grew up in Roosevelt, Utah). it also has a lot of trains, which made Jared really happy.



The next morning we went to sacrament meeting at one of the local wards (there are two. They are actually part of a stake in Cheyenne, WY), then headed for home. On our way out of town we stopped to take pictures at chimney rock.






I had such a good feeling the whole time we were there! Eric and I decided in the car driving home that if they offered we would take it.  And the following Monday morning they offered it to him.
Things are going to be a little crazy for awhile. Eric is going to move to Scottsbluff as soon as he gets his Nebraska dental license.  That will likely be sometime in January. The kids and I are staying here until the end of May to finish the school year and complete our rental contract. I'm not really looking forward to that, but sometimes you have to do hard things.
We are also very happy to be just an 8 hour drive from my parents, and 14 1/2 from Eric's family. This position has a lot of perks that will allow us to visit our families quite a bit more then we have the last four years.

3 comments:

Annette said...

Good luck Caralee! I hope that the transition goes well and that you are happy with Eric's new job and your new home :)

MnM said...

So great!! That is so close to us!(Like 3.5 hours) We should meet up sometime! I'm sorry that Eric's current job isn't working out.

Cassy said...

Isn't it amazing how the Lord makes things work. I don't envy the wait in moving though. I wish you the best of luck.

Making a Chain

We've been trying to sell our house in Philadelphia off and on for the past 8 years. Well we finally got an offer last month! With a ...